I have written about how the technology behind fashion is working, innovate the process and make supply chains transparent. In this article the main focus is on blockchain innovation and sustainability in fashion.
I will write more about the common features of different companies who provide blockchain technology, innovation and sustainability too to companies in the fashion industry.
Different blockchain companies provide different services to different companies in the fashion industry, so here we can read about some common features:
Enabling companies to track and verify movement of goods and materials throughout the supply chain with transactions.
This means companies can track the entire lifecycle of a product, providing greater visibility, which is important for ethical and sustainable development practices.
Companies use to automate and streamline processes such as payments or order fulfillment.
A smart contract is a self-executing computer program that automatically enforces the terms of an agreement between parties without the need for intermediaries.
Smart contracts work by executing predetermined rules and actions when certain conditions are met. These rules and conditions are programmed into the contract, and the contract is executed automatically when the conditions are fulfilled.
Smart contracts are stored on a blockchain, which ensures their immutability and transparency. Because of this a smart contract could be created to automate the payment process between a clothing manufacturer and a supplier.
The contract could be programmed to
- release payment to the supplier once the goods have been delivered and inspected, and
- the quality has been verified.
The contract could specify penalties or rewards for certain outcomes, such as
- early delivery or late delivery.
Once the contract is deployed on the blockchain, it becomes immutable and transparent.
All parties involved in the contract can see the
- terms and conditions of the contract and
- the state of the contract at any given time.
This ensures a high degree of transparency and reduces the risk of fraud or disputes between the parties.
Moreover, smart contracts according to Wikipedia are commonly associated with cryptocurrencies. The smart contracts introduced by Ethereum are generally considered a fundamental building block for decentralized finance (DeFi) and NFT applications. Read more about smart contracts here.
Can handle large volumes of transactions and support multiple users and applications.
Blockchain platforms can be designed to be interoperable with other platforms as well too, allowing for greater connectivity and collaboration between different networks and applications.
Reducing the risk of fraud and other forms of malfeasance.
In the same time new companies and blockchain platforms create new features, or features which are better integrated to other systems.
Carbon footprint tracking
Some blockchain innovation and sustainability in fashion platforms incorporate new and green features that allow fashion companies to track the carbon footprint of their products throughout the supply chain.
In addition to this it helps companies identify areas where they can reduce
- their environmental impact
- and improve sustainability.
- Veridium: a blockchain platform helps organizations offset carbon emissions by investing in sustainable forestry projects.
- Poseidon: a blockchain platform allows individuals and organizations to offset their carbon footprint by investing in carbon credits using cryptocurrencies.
- Climatecoin: a cryptocurrency incentivizes sustainable practices and reducing carbon emissions.
- Climate Chain Coalition: a global initiative collaborates on blockchain-based solutions for tracking carbon footprints and other climate action.
- CarbonX: a blockchain platform enables individuals and organizations to track their carbon emissions and offset them by investing in carbon credits.
This allows each product to have a unique digital identity that can be used to track its entire lifecycle, from the sourcing of materials to the end consumer.
Furthermore, some blockchain innovation and sustainability in fashion platforms are exploring ways to engage consumers in the supply chain and provide them with more information about the products they purchase. For example, consumers can scan a QR code on a garment to access information about its origin, production process, and materials.
Transparency in labor practices
A number of blockchain platforms are exploring ways to increase transparency and accountability in labor practices in the fashion industry. By tracking the movement of products through the supply chain, companies can identify and address potential issues such as exploitation or forced labor.
These platforms allow consumers to buy and sell products directly, bypassing traditional retailers and intermediaries. Decentralized marketplaces powered by blockchain technology can provide new opportunities for independent fashion designers and creators to showcase and sell their work.
Examples for these marketplaces:
- Nifty Gateway,
These are online platforms that use blockchain technology to facilitate peer-to-peer transactions between buyers and sellers. This help to reduce costs and increase efficiency in the supply chain.
Efficiency and cost reduction
Smart contracts and tokenization can help streamline and automate supply chain processes, by
- reducing costs and
- improving efficiency in the fashion industry.
Smart contracts can automate the payment of royalties to
- models, and
- other stakeholders in the fashion industry.
Furthermore, tokens represent the ownership or usage rights of a particular design, allowing for transparent and automatic royalty payments when the design is used.
Supply chain management
Smart contracts can be used to
- automate the tracking and
- verification of goods and materials throughout the supply chain.
Tokens can be used to represent specific products or shipments, with smart contracts triggering
- automatic payments or
- release of goods when certain conditions are met.
In the one hand, tokenization can be used to create unique, non-fungible tokens (NFTs) that represent a particular product or design too. On the other hand, NFTs can also be used to verify the authenticity and ownership of the product, reducing the risk of counterfeiting.
Tokens can be used to represent the digital identity of a particular product, providing a unique identifier that can be tracked and verified on the blockchain.
This refers to the use of blockchain innovation and sustainability in fashion, which promote and ensure ethical practices in the fashion industry.
- transparency and
- traceability throughout the supply chain,
- fair labor practices,
- sustainable materials, and
- responsible environmental practices.
Blockchain technology can provide a tamper-proof record of these practices, allowing consumers to verify and trust the ethical claims made by fashion brands. Ethical fashion and blockchain can work together to create a more transparent and responsible fashion industry.
It is a sustainable approach to fashion that aims to
- reduce waste and pollution by keeping materials in use and
- regenerating natural systems.
As a result of this blockchain technology can play a key role in enabling circular fashion by providing
- transparency and
- traceability throughout the supply chain.
For example this technology can facilitate circular fashion initiatives, such as garment recycling programs, by enabling the tracking of materials and products throughout their lifecycle.
Supply chain transparency
Blockchain technology enable transparency throughout the supply chain, allowing companies to
- track the movement of materials and
- products and identify areas for improvement.
For example this can help to reduce waste and ensure that materials are being used in the most sustainable way possible.
By assigning unique digital identities to materials and products, blockchain technology can enable
- tracking and tracing throughout the entire lifecycle of a garment.
This ensurse that materials are being reused and recycled in a sustainable way, and that waste is being minimized.
These can be used to automate and streamline certain processes in the circular fashion supply chain, such as
- the collection and
- recycling of used clothing.
Therefor this can help to reduce the administrative burden and ensure that materials are being handled in a sustainable way.
In addition to this it can be used to create new business models that support circular fashion, such as
- the creation of loyalty programs that incentivize customers to return used clothing for recycling or upcycling.
Tokens can also be used to
- track and trace materials and products throughout the supply chain.
Blockchain technology can enable companies to create more sustainable business models that reduce waste and pollution, while also promoting the reuse and regeneration of natural systems.
Sustainable business models
Additionally, sustainable business models can be enhanced by blockchain technology in the fashion industry too by
- creating circular economy models – focus on reducing waste and maximizing the use of resources,
- supply chain transparency and traceability – help identify ethical and sustainable sourcing practices,
- tokenization of assets – allows for more efficient use of resources and incentivizes sustainable practices,
- smart contracts – enable businesses to automate sustainable practices, such as using renewable energy sources or reducing emissions,
- decentralized marketplaces – facilitate peer-to-peer transactions, promoting sustainability by reducing the need for middlemen and associated costs.
- carbon footprint tracking and management – help companies measure and reduce their environmental impact and
- collaborative initiatives – bring together stakeholders across the supply chain to work towards shared sustainability goals.
In conclusion, blockchain help fashion industry to be greener, innovative and more sustainable.