The Benefits of Cloud Computing Services in Business Scaling aka How Cloud Technology Can Help Your Business to Grow and Scale faster?
I write in this article about what the “cloud” means as a technological term.
- Why it is getting more and more important in the recent years?
- How small business owners can use cloud as a leverage?
- What do business owners need to know about their data and privacy regarding the cloud?
- How cloud computing services can make your business (more) sustainable?
What is cloud computing?
Cloud computing definition
In the context of technology, the term “cloud” refers to cloud computing, which is the delivery of computing services. Including servers, storage, databases, networking, software, analytics, and intelligence over the internet (“the cloud”) to offer
- faster innovation,
- flexible resources, and
- economies of scale.
Why the cloud is useful?
Instead of owning and maintaining your own computing infrastructure or data centers, companies can use cloud services on a pay-as-you-go basis, only paying for what they use.
This allows companies to scale resources up or down as needed, without having to worry about the costs and logistical challenges of managing physical hardware.
So, whatever you want and wherever you are if you have stable internet connection you can solve everything regarding your business.
Solution for business tasks
Small, medium and large businesses with tasks like
- data storage,
- software application development,
- data analysis, and
- customer relationship management can use cloud computing services.
Cloud Computing services
Cloud service models
There are three primary cloud service models, or types are according to Indu. P.M. Rubesh Anand, Vidhyacharan Bhaskar’s article “Identity and access management in cloud environment: Mechanisms and challenges” published in Science Direct.
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), which provides access to raw computing resources, such as virtual machines and storage, over the internet.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS), which offers a complete development and deployment environment in the cloud, including tools and middleware to build and deploy applications.
- Software as a Service (SaaS), which delivers complete software applications over the internet, eliminating the need to install and run the software on individual computers.
Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
Cloud is based on service-oriented architecture, in which software components aka services create business applications. Services communicate with each other through platforms and languages; it has the capability of providing
- Database-as-a-service (DbaaS),
- Identity-as-a-service (IDaaS) and
- Anything-as-a-Service (XaaS).
Revolutionize working methods
In addition to this, cloud computing revolutionized the way how businesses and individuals access and use technology, making it easier and more cost-effective to
- store and process data,
- build and deploy applications, and
- collaborate with others online.
Cloud hosting services
Cloud hosting service providers provide services for entrepreneurs, businesses and creatives.
Scalability and flexibility
Cloud computing ensures scalability and flexibility for businesses as it allows them to adjust computing resources according to their needs, without having to invest in costly infrastructure upfront.
With cloud computing companies you can pay for computing resources on a pay-as-you-go basis. This means businesses able to scale computing resources up or down as their needs change, without having to invest in hardware that may not be fully utilized.
Furthermore, cloud computing services offer a wide range of computing resources, for example
- processing power, and
- memory, that can be easily added or removed based on the business needs.
This allows small companies to quickly and easily adjust their computing resources to match their needs, without having to purchase additional hardware or reconfigure their existing systems.
Remote access to data
The significant benefit that data and applications can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection, allowing employees to work remotely or from different locations.
This is important for small businesses that
- may not have the resources to maintain an on-premises IT infrastructure or
- need to provide their employees the hardware and software to work remotely.
With cloud computing, employees can use their own devices to access company data and applications, reducing the need for expensive hardware and software purchases.
Since we all used some clouds probably we all know that it is much easier to work with others in the same project real-time if we all see what is going on. Cloud computing gives us and small businesses that comfortability.
It allows real-time collaboration.
As multiple employees access and edit the same documents or files simultaneously, regardless of their physical location. This help to
- streamline workflows and
- increase productivity,
as employees can work together on projects in real-time without the need for time-consuming file transfers or email exchanges.
In addition to this, these services offer a high level of security for remote access, with
- multi-factor authentication and
- encryption to protect against unauthorized access.
This can give businesses peace of mind, knowing their data and applications are secure even when accessed remotely.
Streamlined collaboration and communication
It enables employees to collaborate more efficiently and effectively, regardless of their physical location.
The services provide a range of collaboration tools that allow team members to share documents, files, and information in real-time. These tools can include
- video conferencing, and
- document sharing features that facilitate real-time communication and collaboration.
This makes it easier for teams to work together, even if they are in different locations.
Additionally, cloud computing services often offer project management tools that help teams to
- organize and track their work,
- assign tasks, and set deadlines.
These tools can help to streamline workflows and ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget.
Cloud-based collaboration tools are typically accessible from any device with an internet connection, which can make it easier for teams to work remotely or on-the-go. This can be particularly helpful for small businesses with employees who travel frequently or work from different locations.
Case Study – Small to large
Cloud computing services enabled small and medium businesses to compete on a level playing field with larger enterprises. By leveraging the scalability and flexibility, they can quickly and easily scale operations to meet growing demand, without having to invest in costly IT infrastructure.
In fact, some of the most successful companies today started out as small businesses that leveraged cloud computing to rapidly grow and expand their operations.
For example, companies like
all started as small startups that used cloud computing to quickly scale their operations and reach a global audience.
Airbnb used cloud computing to quickly expand its business from a single apartment in San Francisco to a global platform with millions of users around the world. By using cloud-based infrastructure to manage its online marketplace. The company was able to quickly scale its operations to meet growing demand, without having to invest in expensive hardwares and softwares.
Airbnb’s expansion strategy has been primarily focused on increasing its global presence and expanding into new markets.
Key tactics for growth
The company employed several key tactics to achieve this, including:
- Acquisitions: acquired a number of companies to help it expand into new markets and add new services to its platform. For example, it acquired Luxury Retreats to add high-end vacation rentals to its portfolio, and it acquired HotelTonight to expand its offering of last-minute hotel bookings.
- Partnerships: formed partnerships with a variety of companies to help it expand its reach. For example, it has partnered with airlines to offer travel packages, and it has partnered with WeChat in China to make it easier for Chinese travelers to book accommodations.
- Localization: made an effort to tailor its platform to the needs of specific markets. For example, it added features like instant book and translated listings to appeal to users in non-English speaking countries.
- Marketing: invested heavily in marketing to increase awareness of its brand and drive user adoption. It has launched several high-profile marketing campaigns and has also used social media and influencer marketing to reach new audiences.
Expansions of new physical locations
Airbnb’s expansion into new physical locations has been a key part of its growth strategy. The company was founded in San Francisco in 2008 and initially focused on the US market.
However, it quickly expanded into other countries and regions. Here is a brief overview of the company’s expansion into physical locations:
- 2009-2011: Airbnb began expanding into international markets, starting with Europe. By the end of 2011, the company was operating in over 13 countries.
- 2012-2013: expanded its presence in Asia-Pacific and Latin America. It launched its first mobile app in 2012, which helped to drive growth.
- 2014-2015: continued to expand globally, adding new markets in the Middle East, Africa, and the Caribbean. It introduced new features, such as Airbnb for Business and Instant Book, which helped to attract more users.
- 2016-2018: focused on expanding its presence in China and India, two of the world’s largest travel markets. It launched Experiences, which allowed users to book local activities and tours.
- 2019-2020: expanded its Experiences offering and launched Airbnb Luxe, which offered high-end vacation rentals. The company went public in 2020, which provided additional resources to support its expansion.
Today, Airbnb operates in over 220 countries and regions, and it has more than 4 million listings on its platform. The company’s global expansion has been driven by a combination of localizing its platform to meet the needs of specific markets, partnering with local businesses and organizations, and leveraging technology to improve the user experience.
How cloud computing helped AirBnB?
With different aspects cloud computing platforms helped AirBnB expansion and faast growth:
- Reduced costs: by using cloud computing, Airbnb was able to reduce its infrastructure costs by more than $15 million per year. This allowed the company to reinvest those savings in other areas of the business, such as product development and marketing.
- Increased scalability: the company was able to handle over 2 million guest arrivals during the 2016 summer travel season, thanks in part to its use of cloud computing. This level of scalability would have been much more difficult to achieve with a traditional on-premises infrastructure.
- Faster time-to-market: Airbnb was able to launch its Experiences product in just six months, thanks to its use of cloud computing. This allowed the company to quickly enter a new market and offer a new service to its users.
- Improved reliability: Airbnb’s use of cloud computing improved the reliability of its platform. In 2017, the company reported that it had achieved 99.99% uptime on its core services, thanks in part to its use of cloud infrastructure.
Eliminating hardware and maintenance cost
Cloud computing eliminates the need for expensive hardware and software purchases, as well as the costs associated with maintaining and upgrading on-premises IT infrastructure.
It provides access to a range of resources that can be
- accessed on-demand, as needed, and
- offers automatic software updates, backups, and maintenance.
This helps small and medium sized businesses as well to reduce their IT expenses, focus on core business operations, and remain competitive and agile in today’s business environment.
A common feature, which allow users to pay only for the resources they use, rather than committing to a fixed amount of resources for a set period of time.
Under a pay-as-you-go pricing model are part of the cloud computing services, users are typically charged based on their actual usage of cloud resources, such as
- computing power,
- storage, and
This allows users to scale their usage up or down as needed, depending on changing business needs, without having to commit to a fixed amount of resources.
This can be particularly beneficial for small businesses, as it allows them to avoid upfront costs and pay only for what they actually use. It also help to manage cash flow more effectively, as they can adjust their usage and costs based on their budget and revenue.
Energy efficiency and sustainability
Cloud computing contribute to increased energy efficiency and sustainability.
- By consolidating computing resources in large-scale data centers, cloud computing services can leverage economies of scale and reduce energy consumption compared to on-premises IT infrastructure.
- Data centers that power cloud computing services can implement advanced cooling and power management technologies to optimize energy efficiency and reduce carbon emissions.
- Many cloud computing providers made commitments to use renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar power, to power their data centers and reduce their environmental impact.
Furthermore, cloud computing businesses has the ability to reduce their own energy consumption by consolidating their IT infrastructure in the cloud.
Eco-friendly web hosting
What is eco-friendly web hosting?
The hosting platform has been designed with a maximum use, no waste of resources mindset. hosting The platform is built to be as energy efficient as possible.
For every amperage the company pull from the grid, match 3 times that in the form of renewable energy via an environmental foundation and plant one tree for every hosting account provisioned.
Are you interested in a fast, secure and eco-friendly web hosting?
We recommend you the GreenGeeks webhosting services, where you can choose from multiple hosting options: WordPress, WooCommerce, Reseleer Web Hosting, and Virtual Private Servers.
WordPress hosting services are starting from $2.95/month at GreenGeeks. Try out here.
So if you are interested to build a WordPress website like Greenfrastructures, then using GreenGeeks eco-friendly hosting services sounds like a good idea.
By relying on cloud-based software and services, businesses can reduce the energy consumption of their own data centers and servers, as well as the associated cooling and maintenance costs.
If You like the post please sign up to Silk & Cake’s Newsletter to be the first who will receive our updates.
This article contains affiliate link. Please see Disclosure Policy regarding the links. Thank you.